Helpful Hints

1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 Dear #DHPraxis16,

2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0 By now you probably are used to my face, but I wanted to draw your attention to some others that might be useful as you move forward with your projects. I encourage you to comment on this post with a couple ideas of projects or categories of tools that appeal to you.

Office Hours: Tuesdays 2-4pm

3 Leave a comment on paragraph 3 0 Bring your questions to the Digital Fellows! Come to Room 7414 with your computer and your troubles.

Python Users’ Group (PUG): Wednesdays 12-2pm

4 Leave a comment on paragraph 4 0 If you are interested in running programs in python — say automating a task on a large dataset — check out the Python Users’ Group. Digital Fellows are available to help you think through available ways

Working Groups

5 Leave a comment on paragraph 5 0 A new offering starting this week, the Working Groups are open to anyone for a collaborative working space. Good for sustained learning and skill sharing, think of these as a sort CUNY-centered Meetup.

Digital Fellows’ Workshops

6 Leave a comment on paragraph 6 0 I mention these again. These are meant for you. Try to attend as many as you can. It will help you understand your preferences as you start to think about projects in the coming semester.

ITP Workshops

7 Leave a comment on paragraph 7 0 The workshops run by the Interactive Technology and Pedagogy program are also incredibly helpful. There are game design workshops and visualization workshops. Check out ITP on the Commons for more information.

Past Workshops

8 Leave a comment on paragraph 8 0 Going back through the Digital Fellows’ blog can help give you a sense of workshop offerings. Also, check out these materials from the GC Digital Research Institute this past June. Looking at what has been done can give you a good sense of what you can do.

Project ideas

9 Leave a comment on paragraph 9 0 There are several sources for projects that have gone on at the GC. The Provosts’ Digital Innovation Grants fund exciting work every year. Past projects demonstrate the diverse applications of DH.

New Media Lab

10 Leave a comment on paragraph 10 0 The New Media Lab has an archive of projects that have come through their doors.

Meetups

11 Leave a comment on paragraph 11 0 Sometimes it helps to drop in to hack nights and local meetups where people are working on their own projects. New York City is an incredible place to go to school because you have access to New York City. Whether you want to build sites using Django, contribute to Wikipedia, experiment with Python or blockchain, build a mobile app, or visualize some data, there’s likely a group of other people interested in the same thing. For some, local Meetups can be a low stakes way to build your skills and meet a broader community of coders.

12 Leave a comment on paragraph 12 0 Let me know if you have any questions!

13 Leave a comment on paragraph 13 0 -Jojo

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted October 1, 2016 at 1:03 am | Permalink

Hi Jojo,

These links are super helpful, and I’m grateful for all of the resources y’all Digital Fellows provide.

And yet, it’s hard for those of us working full time with traditional schedules to take advantage of most of the wonderful opportunities. For example, I’d be interested in the Python Learners and Text Analysis Working Groups. I’d also be psyched to get help from you during office hours….if office hours, were, say, after class!

Thank you!

2. Posted October 1, 2016 at 1:06 am | Permalink

Also–the ITP workshops page says Fall 2015. Is that a typo? It lists some Johanna Karlin teaching a workshop. Is she your identical cousin?

• Posted October 1, 2016 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Jenna! The Fall 2015 is a typo — those are indeed this semester’s workshops! And yes – you’ve caught me in my formal self (which I hardly recognize)– Johanna is my full name and so they must have put me in based on my CUNY id or something…. mysteries!

3. Claire Balani
    Posted October 1, 2016 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

I’m looking forward to attending the Digital Fellows’ NLTK workshop and the ITP’s Python workshop. Also hope to go to a text analysis working group meetup!

Additional comments powered byBackType

• Archives

• Welcome to Digital Praxis 2016-2017

Encouraging students think about the impact advancements in digital technology have on the future of scholarship from the moment they enter the Graduate Center, the Digital Praxis Seminar is a year-long sequence of two three-credit courses that familiarize students with a variety of digital tools and methods through lectures offered by high-profile scholars and technologists, hands-on workshops, and collaborative projects. Students enrolled in the two-course sequence will complete their first year at the GC having been introduced to a broad range of ways to critically evaluate and incorporate digital technologies in their academic research and teaching. In addition, they will have explored a particular area of digital scholarship and/or pedagogy of interest to them, produced a digital project in collaboration with fellow students, and established a digital portfolio that can be used to display their work. The two connected three-credit courses will be offered during the Fall and Spring semesters as MALS classes for master’s students and Interdisciplinary Studies courses for doctoral students.

The syllabus for the course can be found at cuny.is/dps17.

• Categories