How to Access Subway Data

1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 Last week, we talked about data pertaining to the subway in class and I brought up that I work for New York City Transit myself. I’ve been meaning to write a short blog post about how to access the MTA API. A good amount of free data is available, including the actual arrival times for the 1-6 trains in real time.

2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0 You can access everything here. You just need to agree to the terms and check out what they have. From there, just follow the instructions to get a key and read the documentation for how to use it.

3 Leave a comment on paragraph 3 0 The backbone of everything is the static GTFS (General Transit Feed Specification) file. This is an industry-wide standard which details subway station information, scheduled train arrivals, trips, transfers, the actual genuine shape of the route a subway line will take on a map (as close to accurate as it can be), and more. This is what Google uses to display all of its transit data, while also including real-time feeds where it exists.

4 Leave a comment on paragraph 4 0 Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll do my best to answer them.

This entry was posted in Student Post. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

One Comment

1. Posted November 5, 2016 at 2:23 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing Brian.

I initially had the question: “what does this data mean? Is there a definition file?”

I found how GTFS works: https://developers.google.com/transit/gtfs/reference/?csw=1
    Very usable data, but I got a little overwhelmed. Will leave it to the professionals.

Additional comments powered byBackType

• Archives

• Welcome to Digital Praxis 2016-2017

Encouraging students think about the impact advancements in digital technology have on the future of scholarship from the moment they enter the Graduate Center, the Digital Praxis Seminar is a year-long sequence of two three-credit courses that familiarize students with a variety of digital tools and methods through lectures offered by high-profile scholars and technologists, hands-on workshops, and collaborative projects. Students enrolled in the two-course sequence will complete their first year at the GC having been introduced to a broad range of ways to critically evaluate and incorporate digital technologies in their academic research and teaching. In addition, they will have explored a particular area of digital scholarship and/or pedagogy of interest to them, produced a digital project in collaboration with fellow students, and established a digital portfolio that can be used to display their work. The two connected three-credit courses will be offered during the Fall and Spring semesters as MALS classes for master’s students and Interdisciplinary Studies courses for doctoral students.

The syllabus for the course can be found at cuny.is/dps17.

• Categories