My week as editor for Digital Humanities Now

1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 Being an editor for Digital Humanities Now has been very good, for me, to experience with digital tools and digital editing. Moreover, working on it during the Election Week – and its results – has been also a good way to forget (or, at least, try to forget) what has just happened (a lot of contents were analysis of the election, even if not all of them related to digital).

2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0 As the other editors before of me already posted on this blog, the amount of work required is not excessive: because other people before of me already explained how to nominate different contents, I will not repeat it again here. I will, instead, point out which parameters I followed to orient myself into this stream of different contents. I tried to maintain a homogeneous and coherent approach in my choice, and this was related to what the Digital Humanities are for me: as our course is continuously proving, the DHs are an approach, open to different academic disciplines, based on the use of digital tools for the study of these disciplines. For this reason, I nominate contents related to this wide approach, instead of others limited to specific areas or events or news. In other words, I looked at the theoretic and general content of the posts, and for this reason I didn’t consider job advertisements, call for papers, links to blogposts, announcements of new journal issues, book reviews, and slides.

3 Leave a comment on paragraph 3 0 Starting with the 2016 Presidential Election, I nominated a project based on the collaborative approach which caracterized the DHs: it is the request to help in building the 2016 Presidential Election Web Archive. Instead, talking about maps, Ellas Tienen Nombres is a Mexican project which has mapped the continuous murdering of women in Ciudad Juarex, Mexico, building an interactive map such as the ones listed in HyperCities project.

4 Leave a comment on paragraph 4 0 Other contents I nominated referred to specific software or tools relevant for a DHers community. For instance, this one explains a new feature of Mallet, the software I employed for my data project; this other contains useful information about the new possibility given by oaDOI to find the open version of academic papers and other resources; here we can find information about the new version of Omeka, the content management system for scholarly projects; and, finally, the Blake Archive shows how TEI could represent the ‘metamarks’ (“marks such as numbers, arrows, crosses, or other symbols introduced by the writer into a document expressly for the purpose of indicating how the text is to be read. […] a kind of markup of the document, rather than forming part of the text”) in digital editions of manuscripts.

5 Leave a comment on paragraph 5 0 I also nominated contents related to specific digital projects worth to be known. For instance, this post deals with the employment of Artificial Intelligence – a tool previously employed for games such as the most recent Pokemon Go – for education, while other two are both focused on the word ‘count’. The first– about the works of the DigiWriMo (Digital Writing Month) – wonders if the number of words written in a digital projects are relevant, in other words if they count, to define the quality of these projects (the title is indeed about the horrors and pleasures of counting words). This other, instead, is a reflecion about how digital projects could count as scholarship (the author – Matthew Delmont – mentions his project Black Quotidian, aimed to map references to black cultures on newspapers). Finally, the Online Repertory of Conjectures on Catullus offers to scholars and students a digital edition of all the poems written by the Latin poet, very useful because digital tools allow to browse the text.

6 Leave a comment on paragraph 6 0 These were some of the contents I nominated because I found them relevant for the DHers community: each of them, referring to different projects, shows the potentiality offered by the employment of digital tools.

This entry was posted in PressForward, Student Post. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

Additional comments powered byBackType

• Archives

• Welcome to Digital Praxis 2016-2017

Encouraging students think about the impact advancements in digital technology have on the future of scholarship from the moment they enter the Graduate Center, the Digital Praxis Seminar is a year-long sequence of two three-credit courses that familiarize students with a variety of digital tools and methods through lectures offered by high-profile scholars and technologists, hands-on workshops, and collaborative projects. Students enrolled in the two-course sequence will complete their first year at the GC having been introduced to a broad range of ways to critically evaluate and incorporate digital technologies in their academic research and teaching. In addition, they will have explored a particular area of digital scholarship and/or pedagogy of interest to them, produced a digital project in collaboration with fellow students, and established a digital portfolio that can be used to display their work. The two connected three-credit courses will be offered during the Fall and Spring semesters as MALS classes for master’s students and Interdisciplinary Studies courses for doctoral students.

The syllabus for the course can be found at cuny.is/dps17.

• Categories