“What graduate students want…is simply answered at the present time: they want a job.”

1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 (The title of this post is attributed to John Guillory, “Professionalism: What Graduate Students Want,” Profession (1996): 91–99 (91), which was also used to preface the book chapter “Acculturation and the Digital Humanities Community” by Geoffrey Rockwell and Stéfan Sinclair.)

2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0 When Paul Ford published his article What is Code? last year, I was all for it. At the time, I was volunteering with a Code for America chapter, which promoted the adoption of civil technology in local communities. We were working to grow our chapter numbers and reach out to many different communities, from programmers, to students, to community activists. I remember re-tweeting Ford’s article quite enthusiastically, in awe of its interactivity, its deep dive into the world of software, and its humility. In reading the article again for this week’s reading, I remembered one point Ford made:

3 Leave a comment on paragraph 3 0 Should You Learn to Code?

4 Leave a comment on paragraph 4 0 I spoke with some friends in their 40s who had spent careers in technology. I was complaining. I said, “I mentor some millennials, and my God. Every job is a contract position. Nothing comes with health care. They carry so much debt.” They looked at me with perplexity. It took a moment, and then one of them said: “Not if they can code.”

5 Leave a comment on paragraph 5 0 …Programming as a career can lead to a rewarding, solidly middle-class existence. If you are inclined and enjoy the work, it’s a good way to spend time, and if you work for and with good people, it can be very fun–even the dry parts have something to teach you. Of course this is true of any place where smart people work. If your situation is lousy, you can probably find another job more easily than, say, a writer.

6 Leave a comment on paragraph 6 0 What attracted me to this article last year was that it represented, for me, a detailed manifesto on how to code to make a living. A seemingly stable, middle-class living. And I do associate that allure with my own efforts this semester to learn about the methods and tools of digital humanities: to adopt new skillsets to appear more employable within academia and outside of it. Within the digital humanities, this rhetoric (or at its extreme Apple-like hard-sell approach) is nothing new. As Rockwell and Sinclair write in 2012:

7 Leave a comment on paragraph 7 0 …digital humanities is a field that is potentially broader than the academy. The jobs available to graduates already include non-academic jobs or #alt-ac (or alternative academic) jobs. The question is how digital humanities programs can prepare students for a breadth of careers including academic careers.

8 Leave a comment on paragraph 8 0 This rhetoric exists even in articles that aim to critique the digital humanities rather than professionalize it. For example, a Slate article from 2014 urged readers not to obtain a Ph.D. solely to become a digital humanist, but at the same time encouraged the adoption of technical skills to gain employment on and off the tenure track:

9 Leave a comment on paragraph 9 0 The real advantage of training in the digital humanities, she [Roopika Risam] argues, is helping students look ‘beyond the tenure track job,’ possibly outside of academia altogether…. One way to salvage what will otherwise be your eventual entrée onto a jobless hellscape might be to “disrupt” your Eliot (George, T.S., whichever) and start using technology to analyze, distribute, or supplement your research.

10 Leave a comment on paragraph 10 0 My perspective on digital humanities and employability is colored by my position as a Millennial in an uncertain job market; my status as a master’s student who may want to pursue a Ph.D. in the future; my professional background working with Ph.D. students anxious about their job prospects. That being said, I do think that digital humanities, in its emphasis on technical skill-building, project management and collaboration, buys into the discourse that Ph.D. students (and perhaps master’s students) will develop transferable skills that will evolve into a variety of career paths. I also think that this particular discourse is problematic for myself and my own curiosity towards digital humanities as a discipline, even though I bought into it. This passage, from the LA Review of Books article, Neoliberal Tools (and Archives): A Political History of the Digital Humanities), starts to explain why:

11 Leave a comment on paragraph 11 0 …the Digital Humanities social movement seeks to prove that a humanities education is beneficial to job seekers by reinventing that education as a course of training in the advanced use of information technology. It unavoidably also suggests that other approaches in the humanities fit less well into the contemporary university, because the implied measure of success is economic.

12 Leave a comment on paragraph 12 0 I had hoped (and perhaps still have hope) that adopting digital humanities methods towards qualitative and interpretivist approaches in political science would perhaps make my future research agenda more publishable; that I could access additional funding streams through university digital humanities initiatives that wouldn’t otherwise be available to me; and that even if I decided to not pursue a career in academia, the technical skills would give me an edge in my previous field of non-profit administration or even enable me to change fields. I’ve come to see that digital humanities itself functions as another asset for me, personally, rather than an end goal. Producing worthwhile scholarship in the public, digital, or academic spheres is a long journey that can’t be remedied with Python or Git tutorials. This week’s readings, along with my revisiting of “Neoliberal Tools,” reminded me that attaching “digital” to “humanities” or any other academic field comes with its own challenges in the job market, complicating the hard-sell approach.

13 Leave a comment on paragraph 13 0 Particularly, I identified with Wendy Hui Kyong Chun’s contribution in the 2016 edition of Debates in the Digital Humanities and her critique of the “vapid embrace of the digital” that can be equated with “cruel optimism, to borrow from Lauren Berlant. Chun calls back the digital humanities’ “alleged promise to save the humanities by making them and their graduates relevant, by giving their graduates technical skills that will allow them to thrive in a difficult and precarious job market.” She quickly dispenses with that promise with some blunt advice speaking as  former engineer: that learning the basics of GIS, statistics, or scripting (and just the basics as taught to English majors in digital humanities programs” will not make you competitive against a growing number of engineers and computer scientists trained at home and abroad. The “blind embrace of DH” leads universities, faculty, and staff to believe that challenges faced in the job market results from a mere lack of technical knowledge, not “an economic system that undermines the future of our students.”

14 Leave a comment on paragraph 14 0 Chun proposes a few cursory solutions to make this “alleged promise” turn into a “bright side” for digital humanities: to collaborate further with sciences and engineering; to solve problems such as education and global change; to not forget the role that “failed DH tools” still played in opening doors in the field. The “economic system” problem Chun points out seems intractable. One possible response, rather than solution, I found in the “Neoliberal Tools” piece gave me the slightest amount of hope. At a digital humanities conference last year, media scholar Deb Verhoeven, bravely, called out the men present in the session:

15 Leave a comment on paragraph 15 0 You have made a world designed around ensuring your own personal comfort, but it’s not comfortable for many, many other people. […] This is not about issuing another policy advisory for “inclusion.” This is not about developing a new checklist to mitigate your biases. And its definitely not about inviting a token female speaker to join you – this actually needs to be about your plans to exit the stage. This is not about learning how to do it better next time – this is about you leaving before there’s a next time. […] This is about letting other people in by letting go of your privileged position.

16 Leave a comment on paragraph 16 0 The authors call this idea “unlikely” and even “laughable,” and I do understand their view that Verhoeven’s proposal won’t correct the “structural and institutional conditions” perpetuating digital humanities today. But speaking as a potential re-entering scholar, as a woman of color, there must be ways for people outside the normal representation of digital humanities to “occupy the positions that get to speak,” in Verhoeven’s words. I have to believe that if I were to continue down this path of becoming a digital scholar, that the position I end up occupying might not even exist in the job market today. I can only hope that the digital and academic spaces for worthwhile scholarship continue to expand and make room for others, and not merely rely on singular digital projects and tools.

17 Leave a comment on paragraph 17 0 Works Cited

Allington, Daniel, Sarah Brouillette, and David Golumbia. “Neoliberal Tools (and Archives): A Political History of Digital Humanities.” Los Angeles Review of Books. Web. 28 Nov. 2016.
Chun, Wendy Hui Kyong, Richard Grusin, Patrick Jagoda, and Rita Raley. “The Dark Side of the Digital Humanities.” Debates in the Digital Humanities: 2016, edited by Gold, Matthew K., and Lauren F. Klein, Minneapolis, MN London: University of Minnesota Press, 2016.
Ford, Paul. “What Is Code? If You Don’t Know, You Need to Read This.” Bloomberg.com. www.bloomberg.com. Web. 28 Nov. 2016.
Kirsch, Adam. “Technology Is Taking Over English Departments.” New Republic 2 May 2014. Web. 28 Nov. 2016.
Rockwell, Geoffrey and Stéfan Sinclair. “Acculturation and the Digital Humanities Community.” Digital Humanities Pedagogy: Practices, Principles and Politics, edited by Hirsch, Brett D., Cambridge: Open Book Publishers, 2015.
Schuman, Rebecca. “Will Digital Humanities #Disrupt the University?” Slate 16 Apr. 2014. Slate. Web. 28 Nov. 2016.

18 Leave a comment on paragraph 18 0  

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

One Comment

1. Posted November 30, 2016 at 3:45 am | Permalink

Interesting take, Claire. I definitely agree that we need to move away from “the vapid embrace of the digital”—the “digital” alone won’t change the infrastructures of the academy or the place of the humanities within them. In fact, this course has been at its best, I think, when it has encouraged explorations of how we do we humanities. If the digital humanities can foreground those explorations, then I think there’s some (cautious) cause for hope.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Additional comments powered byBackType

• Archives

• Welcome to Digital Praxis 2016-2017

Encouraging students think about the impact advancements in digital technology have on the future of scholarship from the moment they enter the Graduate Center, the Digital Praxis Seminar is a year-long sequence of two three-credit courses that familiarize students with a variety of digital tools and methods through lectures offered by high-profile scholars and technologists, hands-on workshops, and collaborative projects. Students enrolled in the two-course sequence will complete their first year at the GC having been introduced to a broad range of ways to critically evaluate and incorporate digital technologies in their academic research and teaching. In addition, they will have explored a particular area of digital scholarship and/or pedagogy of interest to them, produced a digital project in collaboration with fellow students, and established a digital portfolio that can be used to display their work. The two connected three-credit courses will be offered during the Fall and Spring semesters as MALS classes for master’s students and Interdisciplinary Studies courses for doctoral students.

The syllabus for the course can be found at cuny.is/dps17.

• Categories

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message