Final Project: DH in Spain. Digital History Projects and Historical Memory

1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 For my final project I decided to write a reflexive paper that investigates the current state of DH in Spain and how it can help deal with historical memory. To begin with, I intended to tackle some of the issues relevant to the field of digital history from a contemporary perspective, and go over some of the authors we had seen throughout this semester, including Cameron Blevins, Daniel J. Cohen, Matthew K. Gold, Roy Rosenzweig, Douglas Seefeldt, and William G. Thomas.

2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0 Moreover, the main part of the paper constitutes an analysis of the digital projects that are being done in Spain at the moment, in order to A) compare them with some of the projects we have studied over the course of the DH Praxis Seminar, and B) demonstrate how these new methodologies can change the field from an academic perspective.

3 Leave a comment on paragraph 3 0 I gave a special emphasis to the projects that use a particular software platform called Dédalo—as I already introduced the day I presented my project back in November—since it was conceived as an open-source and free working tool that could ease the task of managing, cataloguing, sharing and promoting intangible culture heritage and oral history. Some of the digital history projects I had the opportunity to explore are the Museu de la Paraula, the Memorial Democràtic, Herri Memoria, and Mujer y Memoria.

4 Leave a comment on paragraph 4 0 I will actually get a chance to meet Alejandro Peña and Francisco Onielfa on Friday, December 23rd in Valencia. Alejandro and Francisco are the creators of Dédalo, and I am really looking forward to hearing their perspective on the state of DH in Spain nowadays and how digital history projects can be incorporated into academic curriculums. Unfortunately, I will not be able to include that part in my paper, but I am sure that talking about all these issues with them will turn out to be very helpful and enlightening regardless.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

Additional comments powered byBackType

• Archives

• Welcome to Digital Praxis 2016-2017

Encouraging students think about the impact advancements in digital technology have on the future of scholarship from the moment they enter the Graduate Center, the Digital Praxis Seminar is a year-long sequence of two three-credit courses that familiarize students with a variety of digital tools and methods through lectures offered by high-profile scholars and technologists, hands-on workshops, and collaborative projects. Students enrolled in the two-course sequence will complete their first year at the GC having been introduced to a broad range of ways to critically evaluate and incorporate digital technologies in their academic research and teaching. In addition, they will have explored a particular area of digital scholarship and/or pedagogy of interest to them, produced a digital project in collaboration with fellow students, and established a digital portfolio that can be used to display their work. The two connected three-credit courses will be offered during the Fall and Spring semesters as MALS classes for master’s students and Interdisciplinary Studies courses for doctoral students.

The syllabus for the course can be found at cuny.is/dps17.

• Categories