Volunteering at DHNow

1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 From December 12th to the 18th, I had the chance to volunteer as an editor-at-large for DHNow. Overall, it was a very positive experience—even though there were a few technical problems I kept dealing with throughout the process. I am not the only one who has brought this up, so I am not going to extend on this for too long. But it is true that I had to rely on the “Read Original” button almost every time, so I would not have to wait too much for the actual piece of news to upload. I also used the “Next” and “Previous” buttons all the time in order to move forward to the following or preceding content entries. However, by doing so I realized that most of the times the “Mark As Read” icon did not get highlighted.

2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0 In any case, as I introduced, I did find the experience as a whole very enlightening. Aside from many articles that, basically, just ended up on the site and had nothing to do with the field, I tried to nominate content that could either be related to anything that we had discussed during the DH Praxis Seminar at any point or that could be of interest to anyone involved in Digital Humanities. Thus, volunteering for DHNow gave me the possibility to read plenty of information regarding DH and feel a little more on track with everything that is going on in this field. I think it is also worth noting that I tried to leave aside most content concerning the President-elect Donald Trump and his administration, which were pretty abundant every day of the week. Besides, I also came across another type of news that I tried to disregard as much as possible. I am referring to the ones that were worth taking into account when it comes to the software or applications they were using (for example, data visualization or GIS), but their content was not Humanities-related.

3 Leave a comment on paragraph 3 0 Before concluding though, I just want to talk about a couple of content entries that I nominated during this process. For instance—and since my topic for the Final Project of our course is about the current state of DH in Spain—I found the resource about “The State of DH in Slavic Studies” by Kathleen Thompson very illustrative. Thompson takes the 48th annual Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (ASEEES) Convention as a starting point, and then moves on to discuss some of the projects that are being done at the moment.

4 Leave a comment on paragraph 4 0 Moreover, there was also the article from the New Savanna site “Uncovering Urban Temporal Patterns from Geo-Tagged Photography”, on how people move in cities can be investigated by examining geo-tags on photographs. According to their investigation, they “discover and compare a temporal behavior of residents and visitors in ten most photographed cities in the world”, so they are able to establish certain patterns in relation to the periodicity in urban attractiveness. One of the things that has interested me the most since the beginning of the semester has been learning about different GIS and mapping outcomes, and this content entry definitely contributed on this matter.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

Additional comments powered byBackType

• Archives

• Welcome to Digital Praxis 2016-2017

Encouraging students think about the impact advancements in digital technology have on the future of scholarship from the moment they enter the Graduate Center, the Digital Praxis Seminar is a year-long sequence of two three-credit courses that familiarize students with a variety of digital tools and methods through lectures offered by high-profile scholars and technologists, hands-on workshops, and collaborative projects. Students enrolled in the two-course sequence will complete their first year at the GC having been introduced to a broad range of ways to critically evaluate and incorporate digital technologies in their academic research and teaching. In addition, they will have explored a particular area of digital scholarship and/or pedagogy of interest to them, produced a digital project in collaboration with fellow students, and established a digital portfolio that can be used to display their work. The two connected three-credit courses will be offered during the Fall and Spring semesters as MALS classes for master’s students and Interdisciplinary Studies courses for doctoral students.

The syllabus for the course can be found at cuny.is/dps17.

• Categories