Final Project: Encoding Marginalia

1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 As I discussed during my presentation, I chose to do a paper for the final project in which I took a look at two digital projects. Specifically, I analyzed various encoding-related features of two marginalia-heavy digital archives/editions. The two projects I focused on are the May Bragdon Diaries and the Shelley-Godwin Archive. They’re both amazing projects, and I felt like I wasn’t critiquing the projects so much as educating myself in terms of all of the possibilities there are for making specific types of content such as marginalia findable and accessible to users.

2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0 I analyzed the projects primarily in terms of their use of TEI to encode marginalia, as there is currently no consensus in the field regarding how exactly one should go about encoding this type of content using TEI. More specifically, I examined the projects in terms of their use of feminist encoding principles, which encompass such practices as the use of spatially oriented encoding principles rather than hierarchical onees, which is an excellent strategy for representing text that does not comply to the usual rules of text placement on a page. This strategy is one that the Shelley-Godwin Archive has used quite a bit. Although the two projects’ approaches are definitely different, they seem to both be working toward similar goals of increasing access to the often interesting and illuminating content of marginalia.

3 Leave a comment on paragraph 3 0 Although I was initially interested in TEI alone, I ended up broadening the scope of the paper a little in order to look at the projects’ other methods of marginalia treatment, such as their UX strategy for this content and the content’s searchability using the sites’ search features. I was also pleased to see that the Shelley-Godwin Archive is incorporating linked open data principles, which will allow for even more exposure for their content.

4 Leave a comment on paragraph 4 0 I do think I learned a bit about TEI in practical terms by completing this project. I chose this particular project because I love metadata and am trying to become proficient in as many standards as possible. Although I work with metadata every day, I had not before worked with TEI specifically. Of course, the amount i was able to learn during the course of writing a final paper was limited, but this project has started me on the path to becoming proficient with with this standard.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

Additional comments powered byBackType

• Archives

• Welcome to Digital Praxis 2016-2017

Encouraging students think about the impact advancements in digital technology have on the future of scholarship from the moment they enter the Graduate Center, the Digital Praxis Seminar is a year-long sequence of two three-credit courses that familiarize students with a variety of digital tools and methods through lectures offered by high-profile scholars and technologists, hands-on workshops, and collaborative projects. Students enrolled in the two-course sequence will complete their first year at the GC having been introduced to a broad range of ways to critically evaluate and incorporate digital technologies in their academic research and teaching. In addition, they will have explored a particular area of digital scholarship and/or pedagogy of interest to them, produced a digital project in collaboration with fellow students, and established a digital portfolio that can be used to display their work. The two connected three-credit courses will be offered during the Fall and Spring semesters as MALS classes for master’s students and Interdisciplinary Studies courses for doctoral students.

The syllabus for the course can be found at cuny.is/dps17.

• Categories