|

Readings and potential big data project

1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 I did my best to keep up with the readings and come prepared to class to discuss them, but I will admit that there were weeks some of the readings were technically over my head and there were other weeks that I was not able to get to all the readings (thanks to a full time job that was especially demanding this semester).

2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0 One thought that kept occurring to me over the semester was to do a distant reading on the entirety of the assigned readings.  I wonder what kind of hidden (and not so hidden) meanings could be analyzed from this kind of undertaking.  I foresee a thick network of DH terms and concepts arising and I am interested to put that visualization out there.  Although Moretti’s work at the Stanford Literary Lab in deep reading is mostly literary in nature, I do think there’s room for our collection of texts from the semester in this kind of project.

3 Leave a comment on paragraph 3 0 When I was applying to the MALS program about six months ago, I read this article in the NYTimes which I am only now putting together with Moretti’s Graphs, Maps, and Trees.  Needless to say, I value the bibliography that I am walking away with from this course.

Source: https://dhpraxisfall16.commons.gc.cuny.edu/2016/12/22/readings-and-potential-big-data-project/

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message