Thoughts on Evaluation Criteria

1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 I am sharing a set of evaluation criteria and questions. I feel like it is a very necessary caveat I am not coming from a place of authority or expertise. Instead, I’m going to share criteria highlighted in this week’s readings and last week’s discussion led by Dr. Rhody of a proposal’s format, content, considerations, and evaluation that I think will be applicable to our evaluations of projects at this early stage and in preparation for the rest of the semester.

2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0 The following are productive questions contained in Geofrey Rockwell’s “Short Guide to Evaluation of Digital Work.”  I think will be pertinent in considering project proposals at this early stage of development.

3 Leave a comment on paragraph 3 0 -Is it accessible to the community of study?

4 Leave a comment on paragraph 4 0 -Will experts be consulted?

5 Leave a comment on paragraph 5 0 -Does it interact with other related scholarship and/or DH projects?

6 Leave a comment on paragraph 6 0 -Is there a well considered long-term accessibility plan?

7 Leave a comment on paragraph 7 0 Qualities to be considered for evaluation that I would like to paraphrase and keep in mind from Todd Presner’s, “How to Evaluate Digital Scholarship”

8 Leave a comment on paragraph 8 0 -Consideration of crediting and roles

9 Leave a comment on paragraph 9 0 -Integration of research, teaching, and service

10 Leave a comment on paragraph 10 0 -Peer review (does our class count?)

11 Leave a comment on paragraph 11 0 -Impact

12 Leave a comment on paragraph 12 0 -Development cycle

13 Leave a comment on paragraph 13 0 -Experimentation and risk taking

14 Leave a comment on paragraph 14 0 While reading through the NEH guideline, I can’t stop thinking about the rumors that Donald Trump plans to cut the NEH’s budget… Nevertheless, the model for application process provided by the NEH illuminates the levels of scrutiny digital humanities project proposals must endure in order to earn funding. Their process model reveals an early consideration of applicants’ qualifications and expertise. As I am considering this class a form of training to build expertise on dh practices, at this early stage, I will not be considering this factor so strongly in my vote. At the same time, based on last semester’s presentations, I am sure that proposal writers’ expertise and interest on the topics explored only serve to strengthen and inform project design.

15 Leave a comment on paragraph 15 0 I am going to keep in mind conceptualization and feasibility. Additional questions I will be asking are: How fluid/rigid are roles going to be? Is the timeline feasible? Is there room to amend the timeline to account for unexpected discoveries or problems? Is the project contributing to a particular body of scholarship? Is the project contributing to digital humanities practitioners at large?

This entry was posted in spring17, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

Additional comments powered byBackType

• Archives

• Welcome to Digital Praxis 2016-2017

Encouraging students think about the impact advancements in digital technology have on the future of scholarship from the moment they enter the Graduate Center, the Digital Praxis Seminar is a year-long sequence of two three-credit courses that familiarize students with a variety of digital tools and methods through lectures offered by high-profile scholars and technologists, hands-on workshops, and collaborative projects. Students enrolled in the two-course sequence will complete their first year at the GC having been introduced to a broad range of ways to critically evaluate and incorporate digital technologies in their academic research and teaching. In addition, they will have explored a particular area of digital scholarship and/or pedagogy of interest to them, produced a digital project in collaboration with fellow students, and established a digital portfolio that can be used to display their work. The two connected three-credit courses will be offered during the Fall and Spring semesters as MALS classes for master’s students and Interdisciplinary Studies courses for doctoral students.

The syllabus for the course can be found at cuny.is/dps17.

• Categories