Data Project: Crime Rates in NYC Public Schools

1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 For my project, I focused on the number of different crimes in New York City public schools. View the results of my project (including my blog post about it) at my website and view the Github repository with the resulting CSV files and Python script.

2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0 Please leave any comment here. I’d love to have anyone with more data analysis experience critique my method.

This entry was posted in Student Post. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

One Comment

1. Posted November 16, 2016 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

You’ve really taken the technical aspects of this project and run with it, which is quite impressive. I’d be interested to hear a bit more about what challenges the limitations in the dataset (working by building number, for example) creates for the kinds of questions you might be able to explore with this dataset. For example, what do we need to know about schools in NYC and their admissions / enrollment in order to understand how location and building as spatial identifiers are significant when considering crime rate. There’s a lot of rich material to work with here… very excited to see your work progress.

Additional comments powered byBackType

• Archives

• Welcome to Digital Praxis 2016-2017

Encouraging students think about the impact advancements in digital technology have on the future of scholarship from the moment they enter the Graduate Center, the Digital Praxis Seminar is a year-long sequence of two three-credit courses that familiarize students with a variety of digital tools and methods through lectures offered by high-profile scholars and technologists, hands-on workshops, and collaborative projects. Students enrolled in the two-course sequence will complete their first year at the GC having been introduced to a broad range of ways to critically evaluate and incorporate digital technologies in their academic research and teaching. In addition, they will have explored a particular area of digital scholarship and/or pedagogy of interest to them, produced a digital project in collaboration with fellow students, and established a digital portfolio that can be used to display their work. The two connected three-credit courses will be offered during the Fall and Spring semesters as MALS classes for master’s students and Interdisciplinary Studies courses for doctoral students.

The syllabus for the course can be found at cuny.is/dps17.

• Categories