|

Avid Reader: DH Praxis Class post | Lower East Side Librarian

1 Leave a comment on paragraph 1 0 Here’s a blog post about our discussion on social reading in last night’s class, with references to Gold, Liu, and Moretti, as well as a Pew Internet study.

Avid Reader

2 Leave a comment on paragraph 2 0 One of last week’s class discussion topics was reading, and reading is one of my favorite things, mostly to do. I hadn’t thought about thinking about it. I’m a pleasure reader, so concerned about literary scholarly apparatus only in the sense that I am also a librarian and think publishers who release nonfiction books without a bibliography and index should be given a vicious wedgie.

3 Leave a comment on paragraph 3 0 Now that I am thinking about reading in a more academic way, my mind is spinning with it. I woke up this morning contemplating the concept of print books as “old media,” literature being read in the one-vs.-many paradigm, whether social reading is merely social or also pedagogical, and how brains process text vs. computers. Further, I got to a topic that my group touched on but didn’t explore in the report back, which is note taking.

Source: https://dhpraxisfall16.commons.gc.cuny.edu/2016/10/02/avid-reader-dh-praxis-class-post-lower-east-side-librarian/

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message